The Department of Culture of the Intendance of Montevideo, in a co-production between the Teatro Solís, the Philharmonic Orchestra of Montevideo and the Symphonic Band presented its 2017 season which includes 4 lyric productions.
Symphonic music, jazz, hip hop, tango, candombe, rock, contemporary dance, ballet, opera and theater are part of the 2017 season that brings to Teatro Solís companies from America and Europe. During 2017 will continue, as part of the now tradition, the 2017 MET and Bolshoi Season Streaming, the Cultural Center of Music programming, the International Piano Cycle, contemporary dance cycles and a Season of children throughout the year.
From June to December, the Uruguayan theater season includes: Verdi’s Requiem, performed by the Montevideo Philharmonic Orchestra on Sunday, June 25.
Then it’s Tosca’s turn by Puccini. Next August, the Philharmonic Orchestra of Montevideo, under the musical direction of Ligia Amadio and the stage direction of Jorge Takla (Brazil) will put on the scene again, after nearly 11 years of having performed at the Solís, this classic of the lyrical genre . The participation of Darío Solari (Uruguay) as the Barón Scarpia.Tosca will be presented on 16, 18 and 20 August.
In September is presented The Consul, by Gian Carlo Menotti. This three-act opera premiered on March 1, 1950 in Philadelphia with an extraordinary critical success: Menotti won the Pulitzer Prize for Music in that same year and the New York Theater Critics Circle Award for “Best Musical.” This will be the first presentation of El Consul at the Teatro Solis with the outstanding participation of Brazilian baritone Leonardo Neiva, playing John Sorel, the musical direction of Martin Jorge and the stage direction of Sergio Luján (Uruguay).
In December, with 4 functions of La Verbena de la Paloma, a lyric poem in prose with a libretto by Ricardo de la Vega and music by Tomás Bretón, released on February 17, 1894 at Teatro Apolo in Madrid. La Verbena de la Paloma Presented 81 times in the Teatro Solís, the first on January 16, 1912 and the last on November 12, 1994.