Review: The history of Clóvis Salgado Foundation began with the inauguration of the Grande Galeria at the Palácio das Artes, on January 30, 1970. That same year, the Palácio das Artes Foundation was created to manage and conduct the works in progress. In 1978, the name of the FPA was changed, which was renamed Fundação Clóvis Salgado. The choice of name was a tribute to the doctor, professor and politician responsible for raising the financial resources that enabled the resumption and completion of the works of the Palácio das Artes.
In the beginning of the 20th century, on October 21, 1909, the Belo Horizonte Municipal Theater was inaugurated, on the corner of Bahia and Goiás streets. . In 1940, considering the urban context, the then mayor Juscelino Kubitschek proposed the construction of a new Municipal Theater and the transformation of the building on Rua Goiás into the Cine Metrópole.
The Pampulha group was already a reality at the time, when JK invited Oscar Niemeyer to do another major project in the capital of Minas Gerais. The architect proposed the installation of a theater in the municipal park connected to Avenida Afonso Pena by an extensive concrete walkway. The works, started in 1943, were halted in 1945. Without a municipal theater, Belo Horizonte received, in 1950, on a provisional basis, an “emergency theater” that would later be called Teatro Francisco Nunes.
Several mayors have succeeded JK and few attempts to complete the work have been made. In 1955, the architect Hélio Ferreira Pinto was invited to resize the original project, transforming it into the Palácio das Artes, with access via Avenida Afonso Pena and adding other equipment. The Grand Theater of the Palácio das Artes was opened in March 1971. Other spaces were created later, such as Cine Humberto Mauro (1978), Teatro João Ceschiatti and Galeria Arlinda Corrêa Lima (1984), Sala Juvenal Dias (1993), Galeria Genesco Murta (early 1990s) and Galeria Mari’Stella Tristão (2016). Some of these spaces were requalified throughout 2017 and 2018, and others were created, such as the PQNA Galeria Pedro Moraleida, the FCS Collection and the Amilcar de Castro Open Gallery that, with the construction of the Passeio Niemeyer, rescued the original concept of the space.